Monday, February 22, 2010

School of Athens

So back in 2005, I went on a high school trip to Greece and Italy. We eventually made our way to Rome and were lucky enough to get into the Vatican (which so happened on that same night, the Pope died). It was a lot of fun and my only regret is that I saw all these amazing pieces of ancient Renaissance art before I even really knew anything about it. So now in 2010, and as a senior in college, I have been working night and day on the biggest research paper of my life on Raphael and the Stanza della Segnatura. Turns out I was in this room at one point in my life, and even took a picture of the famous fresco in that room, the School of Athens, which I've just finished writing about in this uber long paper of mine.


At the time I took this picture, I didn't know anything about it. It was a "ooh, pretty picture," moment and snap goes the camera. It's incredibly weird to me that I know so much about this painting now when at one time I had actually seen it in person so many years ago.

I don't know. It just makes me a little sad. I would definitely appreciate it more now if I ever go back there some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment